Job Title: Group Leader
Reports to: Afterschool Program Director
Department: Afterschool Program
Schedule: Part-time, 20 hours per week, M-F 2:00-6:00 pm
The Group Leader is responsible for providing supervision and care to children between the ages of 5-13. Group Leaders are responsible for planning and preparation of daily activities and working with a team of others to offer engaging programs. They should be creative, enthusiastic, and excited to provide a positive environment for our students!
About the Program
The Elizabeth Peabody House is a community-based nonprofit that provides quality early education, after school care, and other services to residents of the greater Somerville community. Our students and staff come from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
The EPH Afterschool Program provides enriching, affordable, accessible afterschool and out-of-school-time programming for school-age children. The program provides activities that foster the development of positive social and emotional skills while supporting academic and educational enrichment.
- Develop and lead varied, multi-subject activities for youth that are enriching and age-appropriate. (e.g. arts education, STEM, community engagement, physical education, etc.)
- Assist participants with homework and teach skills that will aid them in the completion of school work.
- Provide supervisory care for a group of 10 – 13 youth during group activities.
- Be able to identify when one-on-one care is needed, and provide it effectively and positively.
- Attend professional development trainings and agency meetings that occur during non-program hours, as required.
- Ensure safety of all participants during structured and unstructured time.
- Assist with preparation of snacks and other program functions. (e.g. clean-up, meal time, transitions, etc.)
- Provide positive role-modeling, reinforcement and behavior modification when necessary.
- Remain controlled in difficult situations.
- Guide children to develop appropriate social skills with peers and adults.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or candidate for a BA/BS) preferred.
- Demonstrated involvement and commitment to the youth community.
- Experience (volunteer/paid) working with youth.
- Good administrative and supervisory skills; demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- At least 18 years of age, 21+ preferred.
- Clean driver’s license, 7-D Van Driver License, or willingness to obtain license preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- A Criminal Offenders Records Information request and Sexual Offenders Records Information request must be completed for this position.
Available to work from 2-6:00 pm, Monday – Friday additional hours available.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to India Drinkard, Afterschool Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Elizabeth Peabody House is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ethnicity, gender, nationality, religious belief, or sexual orientation.